?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Interview - Queue — LiveJournal
June 10th, 2002
09:17 am

[Link]

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Interview
So my interview at O'Reilly is officially schedule for 10:00 on Thursday. And right after the interview, I leave for a 3-day camping trip.

Still have heard nothing from the people at work about steps being taken to renew my contract for another year. I know the offer is going to be made, but I also know that they are going to wait until the last minute to do it. The spiteful part of me is telling me to wait until they make the offer, then reject it. The part of me with better sense is planning on giving them two weeks, which is a week from today!

(7 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments
 
[User Picture]
From:hrafn
Date:June 10th, 2002 06:26 am (UTC)

(Link)
Heh. I didn't realize you had a spiteful side. How fun :)
[User Picture]
From:queue
Date:June 10th, 2002 06:35 am (UTC)
(Link)
I was going to say that I'm surprised that you didn't realize that. But then I got to thinking about it, and I guess I'm not surprised. I was trying to think about other times when the spiteful side of me gave me ideas, and I couldn't really think of any. I guess it's not a normal state for me. This particular situation is bringing it out in me, I guess, since I don't feel like I'm being treated particularly well (although no worse than anyone else here is being treated, which is the scary part).
[User Picture]
From:magid
Date:June 10th, 2002 06:35 am (UTC)
(Link)
The ingenue in me says to give them the 2 weeks notice. That way you can spin it as if you didn't assume they'd make an offer, had to find something, etc, etc, and make it easier to leave the door open for getting freelance stuff like solvings, if you want it.

[User Picture]
From:queue
Date:June 10th, 2002 06:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Except that I know they are going to make me the offer. They (Boss Lady) have said so on at least two occasions.

I would not feel comfortable about trying to make it appear other than it is. I will attempt to be honest while still being diplomatic. While I'm interested in possible freelance work, I'm not going to be too upset if they don't want to give it to me.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have an opinion about the best way to handle telling them is? Should I just tell them in person (which is my first thought)? Should I just do it in writing (and of course expect that they may well want to talk to me)? Should I tell them in person and bring a letter with?
[User Picture]
From:magid
Date:June 10th, 2002 07:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
In person.

Btw, Boss Lady saying something does show intent, but is not a hard offer, either. Things that have been projected have not always come to pass around here (though in this case, I do think it's pretty solid that they will...).
[User Picture]
From:treacle_well
Date:June 10th, 2002 09:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
In person. If you really feel you need to also do a letter to make things like what your last day is clear, then you might want to bring one to the in-person meeting, but I haven't heard you say anything about this workplace that would suggest they'd be prone to confusion or fucking around with you on stuff like that, so probably in-person would be fine (and maybe ask if they want a letter). I've quit jobs a few times--I think I've only done so by letter once.
[User Picture]
From:surrealestate
Date:June 12th, 2002 03:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hey, congrats on the interview! Break a leg. :)

My Website Powered by LiveJournal.com