Okay, I feel accomplished. I got my Jotto program to work. Right now, all it does is pick a random word and have you guess it, but I feel accomplished anyway. I haven't done any programming for a while, and it was nice to struggle with something and get it to work. I had gotten it to a point where it was close, and I spent some time tracking stuff down, and it turns out it was simply a misunderstanding how something worked ($# returns the last index, not the size).
Now I can play Jotto whenever I want. MUHAHAHAHA! Next step is to get it to try to guess my word. Actually, the next step is probably to have it make sure that my guesses are actually words. Right now, it will accept any 5-letter string.