Log in

No account? Create an account
November 25th, 2002
11:26 am


Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry
Technical help
I'm using Netscape 7.0 on Mac OS X.2.

I noticed that this page and this page show up just as text files, giving the source listing, instead of being rendered as html. My page is a dynamic Perl page, and I imagine something similar is going on with the other page.

Anyone know why this is going on? And, more importantly, anyone know how to fix it? I've done a little poking around and couldn't find anything.

(4 comments | Leave a comment)

[User Picture]
Date:November 25th, 2002 08:53 am (UTC)
I see the first (Mozilla 1.0r2 on Win2K) just fine, which I think is browser-related since it doesn't work in lynx, but the second is text. When I save out the second page, it gives it a .txt extension, so perhaps the problem is that the page has some other extension on the server and the server is not configured to send that type as if it is HTML, which may be the same basic issue that you are having on aq.
[User Picture]
Date:November 25th, 2002 09:01 am (UTC)
Hmm. These both work fine using IE, though. And, if I remember correctly, they work fine using Netscape 7.0 on Windows 98 at home. So, if it were a server problem, it should not be working on all of them, right? Or would some browsers be able to handle server wonkiness better than others? If it's not obvious, I'm pretty much clueless about browser technology.
[User Picture]
Date:November 25th, 2002 11:32 am (UTC)
I tried telnetting into your web server port and I think I found the problem. Your perl script is not printing a Content-type line. Add this to the beginning of your script:

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

And it should be happy.

IE5 assuming it's a web page in the absence of more accurate information is kind of annoying. Your script is not following the CGI standard (or the HTTP one, IIUC) and the browser should help you find that out.
[User Picture]
Date:November 25th, 2002 11:40 am (UTC)
Bah. I removed that bit a while ago because, with changes to the jmac.org server, it had started actually printing that line. So, apparently, it hasn't been working correctly since then, but whatever browsers I'd been using just assumed HTML.

Adding the line back in doesn't fix it. So, um, I guess it's a server thing. Supposedly, that guy who runs the server has some more time now, so maybe I'll give him a ping.

Thanks for the help.
My Website Powered by LiveJournal.com